I am going to get geeky with this post.
E.max is a material that is used to make crowns and veneers. The material is not only the strongest yet for back teeth, but also our most beautiful and enamel-like.
Emax is lithium disilicate, which is a monolithic restoration. What this means is that because it is milled from one block, it is stronger than other materials, which have porcelain baked on top of metal. It is as strong as our once “gold standard” of full gold crowns.
- It is completely biocompatible- there are no known allergies to Emax.
- It is completely metal free.
- All emax crowns tested in one scientific study achieved a 100% in-vivo survival rate in the masticatory stimulator.
- Irrespective of the size of the ceramic restoration, the fracture strength measured in the posterior region did not significantly differ from that of natural, unprepared teeth.
- In another study, in a clinical trail with 236 patients, there was a 93% success rate after 8 years.
- It is the most conservative restoration we can use! It allows the doctor to save so much enamel, preventing trauma to the tooth, and preventing root canals.
In short, emax is amazing! I would guess the only reason some doctors are not using it is because it is technically more difficult to use and prepare, and requires extra training.