I wanted to draw some attention to a new page on our site, about the non-metal dental implants available at Moonlight Beach Dental.
When dental implants started to become widely-available in the 80’s, the most popular material to use was titanium. This material had a number of drawbacks, including:
- Titanium is susceptible to corrosion.
- Titanium isn’t very resistant to bacteria.
- Many people have allergies to the metal.
- Titanium also tends to show a dull grey coloration at the gumline.
Zirconia implants are a ceramic-based material and don’t have any of those drawbacks:
- Zirconia implants don’t corrode
- Zirconia implants are bacteria-resistant
- Zirconia implants are much more biocompatible.
- Finally, since they are white to begin with, zirconia implants show no discoloration.
They are also considered more holistically-friendly.