A recent article titled Pathogens in your Mouth Can Lead to Cancer in Other Parts of Your Body by Dr. Mercola addresses the bacteria and viruses that our mouth can harbor, which can lead to widespread systemic infections:
- heart attack and peripheral artery disease
- oropharyngeal cancer ( cancer of the mouth and tissues)
- colo-rectal cancer ( cancer in the intestines)
- intrauterine infections ( that can effect the fetus or uterus)
“Good oral hygiene is even more important than previously thought. Pathogenic microorganisms and their toxins can harm more than just your mouth when they circulate through your bloodstream—they can potentially cause secondary infections and chronic inflammation throughout your body. Several studies now show that these oral pathogens—viruses as well as bacteria—may be linked to certain cancers, making it even more important to do take every step possible to ensure your teeth and gums stay healthy.”
“There is one bacterium that has been causing a great deal of trouble with people’s health: Fusobacterium nucleatum, a spindle-shaped anaerobic bacterium commonly found in dental plaque. F. nucleatum is abundant in your mouth and able to coaggregate with other species.
Normally, F. nucleatum is not prevalent in your gut, but if your microbial balance is off—which can happen in your mouth, as well as in your gut—then it’s able to invade and colonize. F. nucleatum has been found in gut mucosal biopsies that show inflammation and in biopsies of colorectal tumors.” Spirochetes and amoebas are also very harmful oral aggressive bacteria.
Bacteria in the mouth can release harmful toxins, including exotoxins and something called c-reactive factor, which can cause a cascade of problems throughout the body. Dr. Mercola recommeded:
- Consume a traditional diet: fresh fruits and vegetables, grass-pastured meats, poultry, eggs, and dairy; nuts and seeds; minimal consumption of sugar and processed food.
- Add in some naturally fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, pickles, kimchee, yogurt, kefir.
- Proper brushing and flossing, professional dental cleaning.
- Oil pulling
In addition, I would recommend:
- Daily high-potency pro-biotic to increase to presence of GOOD bacteria in the gut. HMF forte, Jarodofillus, Lactobacilli, etc)
- Professional cleaning with Ozone water irrigation – will kill all oral pathogens: anaerobic bacteria, spirochetes, amoebas, fungi, viruses